Did you ever have a project where it seemed that something went wrong every step of the way? Well that is this project for me. The quilt is called Porch Swing from Kim Brackett’s book Scrap-Basket Beauties. Since it uses 2-1/2” strips I thought it would be a good quilt for my 40 yard dash. The instructions are straightforward and the blocks really aren’t difficult, it was all just operator error!
First off, I cut the wrong fabric for my outside blocks. I didn’t catch the mistake even after cutting all 32 of them so compounded my error by sewing these incorrect units into blocks. After re-cutting and sewing those again I started on the center blocks and quickly realized some of my points were going in the wrong direction. Argh! So it was back to cutting and sewing more blocks.
Finally I got it to this point
but couldn’t leave well enough alone. I rearranged a few blocks and as I was sewing the rows together I realized I had switched an outer block with an inner one so the secondary pattern didn’t work right. So, once more, I spread out all the blocks, fixed my mistake and sewed it together. It’s days like this when I wonder why I think this is fun!!!