Since releasing the pattern for Block 1 of The Celebrate Quilt block of the month last week, I decided it might be helpful to create a tutorial of the block construction. First, grab a copy of the pattern from the Free Resource Library. Make sure you have the updated version (I made a couple of minor corrections). If you don’t have the password to the resource library, sign up on the home page and it will be sent to you right away.
Okay, here are step-by-step instructions with photos of the block I made.
- Following the pattern instructions, cut all the pieces needed for Block 1.
2. Draw a diagonal line on the back of the 2-7/8″ background squares.
3. Pair the 2-7/8″ background squares with the 2-7/8″ Fabric 1 squares and sew a 1/4″ seam on both sides of the drawn line.
4. Cut apart on the drawn line and press toward Fabric 1. Yield 8 HST.
5. Trim the dog ears. These HSTs should measure 2-1/2″ square at this point.
6. Following the photo, make four-patch units. Before sewing together, make sure the triangles are turned correctly. They should form a “butterfly” shape! Press the seams open. Make 4. These should measure 4-1/2″ at this point.
7. Make the flying geese units. Draw a diagonal line on the back of the remaining 8 2-1/2″ background squares. Position a square on one side of a Fabric 2 rectangle. Sew ON the drawn line.
8. Trim the corner 1/4″ from the sewing line and press toward the corner. Repeat on the opposite corner.
9. Make four flying geese units with background and fabric 2. These should measure 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ at this point.
10. Repeat steps 7-9 with Fabric 1 squares and background rectangles. Make four of these flying geese units. These should measure 2-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ at this point.
11. Sew two flying geese units together as shown. Press seams open. This unit should measure 4-1/2″ square. Make 4.
12. All of the units are now complete and you are ready to sew the block together. Lay out the units as shown above. Ensure both the corner triangle units and the flying geese units are in the correct position.
13. Sew the units into rows, then sew the rows together. The block should measure 12-1/2″ square.
14. Sew a 1-1/2″ x 12-1/2″ sashing strip to both sides of the block and press toward the sashing strip.
15. Sew a 1-1/2″ x 14-1/2″ sashing strip to the top and bottom of the block and press toward the sashing strip. The block should now measure 14-1/2″ square.
16. Sew the 7 assorted 2-1/2″ squares together, then sew to one side of the block. The block should now measure 14-1/2″ x 16-1/2″. If you are making the larger quilt, make two blocks this month. Celebrate finishing Block 1 and get ready for Block 2, which will come to your inbox on April 8th!
If you have any questions or problems, please get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you post your block on social media, please tag me @patchworksampler and use the hashtag #thecelebratequilt so I can feature your block in my stories.